FIVE TIPS ON HOW TO STOP TOUCHING YOUR FACE TO REDUCE THE SPREAD OF COVID-19
With the number of COVID-19 cases in the world hitting the million mark in March, there’s been a lot of worries around the world which has made health officials all over the world to keep increasing their alertness in recommending basic hygiene tips to limit the spread of the virus. On the average, people touch their face about 23 times in an hour.
Most people who become infected experience mild illness and recover, but it can be more severe for others.
As you read on, you’ll find various tips on how to reduce touching your face, but first, you can take care of your health and protect others by doing the following:
· Wash your hands frequently
Wash your hands regularly and thoroughly with soap and running water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Doing this kills viruses that may be on your hands.
· Maintain social distancing
Maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet) distance between yourself and anyone who is coughing or sneezing
· Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth
Our hands touch many surfaces and can pick up viruses. Once your hands are contaminated, they can transfer the virus to your eyes, nose or mouth. From there, the virus can enter your body and can make you sick. It seems difficult though but if you follow the tips given below, it will help you reduce your chances of reducing the spread.
· Practice respiratory hygiene
Practice good respiratory hygiene. This means covering your mouth and nose with your bent elbow or use a tissue when you cough or sneeze, then dispose of the used tissue immediately. If you properly practice good respiratory hygiene you will help protect the people around you from the spread of the virus.
· If you have fever, cough, and difficulty in breathing, seek medical care early, Stay informed and follow the advice given by your healthcare provider
If you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, seek medical attention early enough and follow the advice given by your local health authority because the national and local authorities will have the most up to date information on the situation. Seeking medical care early will allow your health care provider to quickly direct you to the right health facility. This will also protect you and help prevent the spread of viruses and other infections.
THESE ARE FIVE THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP YOU FROM TOUCHING YOUR FACE.
Pomerantz said “Avoiding touching your face is more effective than any other medical interventions for stopping the spread of the virus,”.
- Increase awareness: Ask someone to tell you when you touch your face, or record it yourself.
- Do other things with your hands: Hold something in your hands or make a fist for one minute if you catch yourself bringing them to your face.
- Change postures: Sit in a way where your hands are not present on the table or the seat.
- Practice relaxation techniques: Practice breathing and muscle relaxation techniques.
- Help others: Try to think of whom you might be protecting by not touching your face.